AHCJ broadcasts 2023 CDC Well being Journalism fellows
Eight journalists have been chosen to attend the 2023 AHCJ-CDC Well being Journalism Fellowship in Atlanta.
Because of help from the NIHCM Basis, this 12 months’s fellows will spend three days — Might 21-24 — studying from CDC consultants and touring labs on the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention’s campuses.
AHCJ-CDC Fellows will:
- Be taught concerning the newest CDC analysis and information on subjects together with maternal mortality, infectious ailments, power ailments, environmental well being and different rising public well being points.
- Find out how the company has modified its inner communications to be extra nimble and efficient in its public well being messaging.
- Meet new sources they’ll attain throughout well being emergencies — constructing a stage of belief that permits them to supply higher info to their audiences and communities.
- Discover ways to faucet the company’s considerable assets to supply higher tales.
- Tour the smoking lab and the Emergency Operations Middle, amongst different websites.
- Work together with colleagues from throughout the nation.
The fellowship program additionally contains one 12 months of a brand new or renewed AHCJ membership.
The 2023 AHCJ-CDC fellows are:
- Angela Roberts, well being reporter, The Baltimore Solar
- Bonnie Petrie, bioscience and drugs reporter and host of Petrie Dish podcast, Texas Public Radio
- Kim Painter, unbiased journalist
- Marijke Vroomen Durning, journalist, self-employed
- Allen Siegler, reporter, Mountain State Highlight
- Elaine Chen, heart problems reporter, STAT
- Joe Burns, unbiased journalist and AHCJ’s core subject chief on well being reform/insurance coverage
- Isabella Cueto, power illness reporter, STAT
In line with its mission assertion: “CDC serves because the nationwide focus for growing and making use of illness prevention and management, environmental well being, and well being promotion and well being training actions designed to enhance the well being of the folks of america.”
The Affiliation of Well being Care Journalists has provided a CDC fellowship for greater than a decade, bringing scores of journalists to the company for in-depth coaching and alternatives to construct relationships with worthwhile sources of knowledge.