This Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato and Coconut is a creamy, cozy recipe you’ll crave. Curry powder, coconut milk, and fire-roasted tomatoes add mouthwatering taste.
An Straightforward, Hearty Soup Recipe with A lot of Daring Taste
Lentil soup is a flexible type of meal – there are variations of this recipe with every kind of various taste profiles. (I like all of them!) It’s no marvel, since lentils are satisfying and flavorful, however nonetheless impartial sufficient to work with any spice or seasoning mix you’ll be able to throw at them.
This lentil soup is stuffed with South Asian elements, for a heat, shiny, complicated dish that’ll have you ever coming again for extra. Curry powder, coconut milk, lime, and cilantro are a can’t-miss mixture. For a cold day, or anytime you need a fast vegan meal that gained’t go away you bored or hungry, attain for this simple recipe.
Is Lentil Soup Good for You?
Sure, lentil soup is certainly a wholesome soup possibility. Lentils themselves are a wholesome supply of each carbs and protein, and so they pack in wholesome minerals, too. You’ll get iron, selenium, and folate from this simple recipe – plus, lentil soup delivers fluids and fiber, selling a wholesome digestive system.
What’s in This Curried Lentil Soup?
My recipe for curry lentil soup with tomatoes and coconut is nice for anybody on the lookout for a meatless essential course that’s filling, wholesome, and flavorful. It’s additionally vegan and gluten-free.
- Olive Oil: Further-virgin olive oil has a daring, wealthy style, however lighter olive oils will work, too.
- Onion: Finely chopped. White, yellow, and Vidalia onions are all good for this recipe.
- Garlic: Finely mince the garlic, or use a garlic press.
- Ginger: You have to a chunk of ginger about 2 ½ inches lengthy, peeled and finely grated.
- Curry Powder: Medium curry powder is my favourite, however you should utilize any type you want.
- Crushed Crimson Pepper: For a bit of further warmth, crushed crimson pepper flakes are simply the factor.
- Lentils: Picked over, rinsed, and well-drained.
- Canned Tomatoes: Search for diced, fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Cilantro: Finely chop a number of the cilantro, however go away some leaves with tender stems for serving.
- Salt and Pepper: Kosher salt and freshly floor pepper.
- Coconut Milk: Use canned, unsweetened coconut milk, shaken effectively.
- Lime Wedges: For serving.
Tips on how to Make Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato and Coconut
Whereas some soup recipes are all a couple of lengthy, gradual cooking course of, that is one you’ll be able to whip up in beneath an hour – and it’s simply as cozy.
- Prepare dinner the Onion. We’ll begin constructing layers of taste by caramelizing the onions. Warmth the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium warmth. Then add the onion and cook dinner for 8 – 10 minutes, or till they’re softened and golden brown.
- Add the Fragrant Elements. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, and crimson pepper flakes to the pan, and stir for a few minutes to launch the perfume of those elements.
- Stir within the Remaining Soup Elements. Now, stir within the lentils and sauté them, nonetheless stirring, for one minute. Pour within the tomatoes, and stir in half a cup of the cilantro, some salt and pepper, and a couple of ½ cups of water. Put aside ¼ cup of the coconut milk for serving, and add the remaining coconut milk to the soup.
- Simmer. Convey the soup to a boil, after which scale back the warmth and let it simmer for twenty to 25 minutes, or till the lentils are gentle (however not mushy). Style, and modify the seasonings as wanted.
- Take pleasure in! Divide the lentil soup amongst 4 bowls, drizzle each with a number of the reserved coconut milk, and prime with extra cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Suggestions for Success
There’s loads of wiggle room on this recipe, so if you happen to’re on the lookout for methods to vary issues up you’re in luck. These useful recipe notes will present you just a few methods to try this.
- Lentil Choices: Most sorts of lentils will work completely on this recipe. Brown, crimson, and yellow lentils all cook dinner in about half an hour, whereas inexperienced ones might take nearer to 45 minutes.
- Spices: I like to mix contemporary ginger and a few crimson pepper flakes with curry powder for an additional punch, however you’ll be able to tweak this in numerous methods. Omit the crimson pepper, use floor ginger, or substitute a selected curry mix to your style.
- Veggies: Soup recipes are nice as a result of they’re so versatile, and this one’s no exception. Be happy to toss in kale, diced potato, chopped carrots, or another greens you take pleasure in.
What Goes Properly with Lentil Soup?
I like serving any soup recipe with bread and salad, or with a hearty pasta dish. Listed here are just a few wholesome concepts to attempt:
- Crostini: crostini are enjoyable to make and simple to eat, particularly this delicious Pepper Mushroom Onion Crostini!
- Beets Salad: Beets are a superfood that packs in every kind of vitamins, and tastes nice, too. Do this flavorful Goat Cheese Roasted Beet Salad, and I’m certain you’ll agree!
- Pasta: My Eggplant Goat Cheese Pasta is stuffed with wholesome shade and taste! It’s an exquisite aspect or gentle essential course that goes with absolutely anything.
Tips on how to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
To retailer leftover lentil soup, cool it down and pack it right into a tight-lidded container. It’s going to maintain within the fridge for up 4 – 5 days.
To reheat, simply place the specified quantity in a saucepan over medium-low warmth till the soup is heated via.
Can I Freeze This?
You’ll be able to freeze curried lentil soup, however the coconut milk typically suffers a bit of, texture-wise, after freezing and thawing. If you’re planning to make this as a freezer meal, contemplate leaving out the coconut milk – you’ll be able to add it in as soon as your soup is thawed and reheating. Both means, be certain that to freeze lentil soup after it has cooled, and use an hermetic container to maintain it contemporary.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 2½- inch piece ginger peeled, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes
- ¾ cup lentils
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced hearth roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro plus leaves with tender stems for serving
- Kosher salt freshly floor pepper
- 1 13.5- ounce can unsweetened coconut milk shaken effectively
- Lime wedges for serving
Warmth oil in a medium saucepan over medium.
Prepare dinner onion, stirring usually, till softened and golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and crimson pepper flakes and cook dinner, stirring, till aromatic, about 2 minutes.
Add lentils and cook dinner, stirring, 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, ½ cup cilantro, a beneficiant pinch of salt, and 2½ cups water; season with pepper.
Put aside ¼ cup coconut milk for serving and add remaining coconut milk to the saucepan.
Convey combination to a boil; scale back warmth and simmer gently, stirring sometimes, till lentils are gentle however not mushy, 20–25 minutes. Season soup with extra salt and pepper if wanted.
Serve, divide soup amongst bowls. Drizzle with reserved coconut milk and prime with extra cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Extra Nourishing Soup Recipes